Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Guppytail Molly
Just popping in
Just popping in

User information
Group:
Registered Users
I'm interested in crossing a guppy and molly, just wondering if anyone here has had success. I've seen pictures of them at retailers websites but they're never in stock. Personally I think these hybrids are beautiful and they seem to be rare in the hobby. I've set up a heavily decorated tank with male guppies and female mollies in hopes for some fry. No hybrids yet but the guppies are trying ;) so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Tips or advice anyone?

Posted on: 2009/4/23 15:07
Create PDF from Post Print Twitter Facebook Google Plus Linkedin Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mr. Wong Report Top

Re: Guppytail Molly
Just popping in
Just popping in

User information
Group:
Registered Users
"Guppytail" Mollies are not a hybrid, they are simply a genetic variation of Molly to produce Veiltails. The name Guppytail is just a reference to their resemblance to Fancy Guppies.

The two species have been known to hybridize, but it is rare, and the offspring are usually sterile/infertile. I've not heard of anyone getting an F2 generation from such crosses.

Posted on: 2009/4/24 11:10
Create PDF from Post Print Twitter Facebook Google Plus Linkedin Del.icio.us Digg Reddit Mr. Wong Report Top

Just popping in
Just popping in

User information
Group:
Registered Users
Mmmm... Chromedome I hate to nitpick but it's apparent you didn't understand my post. I'm asking if anyone has had success producing guppy/molly hybrids, more commonly known as guppytail mollies. I have researched the VIELTAIL molly you mention and am quite aware they are not hybrids. I will not argue with you over common names and I'm not trying to discredit your knowledge. But let us be clear in our responses on this forum. Many people use this site as a source of trusted information on livebearers.
Another misleading statement you made was that these hybrids are sterile. Again lets be clear, the males cannot succesfully breed because of thier elongated gonopodium. However thier milt could very well be viable and I see no reason why a female guppy/molly hybrid could not breed. I know I've torn apart your response line by line and I'm sorry if I sound like jerk. But the few broad statements you made really don't pertain to subject of the post. I will agree with you about two bits: these hybrids are rare, and F2 generations would be impossible (w\o artificial insemination).
I'm not really looking to breed a colony of guppytail mollies, just want a few for pets So I'll ask again... Has anyone here had success crossing mollies with guppies?
Chris

Posted on: 2009/4/26 22:03

Just popping in
Just popping in

User information
Group:
Registered Users
Actually, you did not understand my answer. A Guppytail Molly is a Veiltail with a broad delta tail. It is NOT a Guppy/Molly hybrid. It is simply a descriptive common name for a Delta Tail Molly. It is a strain of Molly, that's all.

I'm not saying you can't try to hybridize Guppies and Mollies, as it has been done as far back as the 1950s; there was a picture in my 19th edition of Innes. I'm saying that you are not going to get Guppytail Mollies by doing so.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 22:55

Just popping in
Just popping in

User information
Group:
Registered Users
{edited for flaming} You're statement has to do with common names which I will not argue. It's like arguing bluegill over bream, personal preference. I have no interest in your preference of name unless it's scientific. For the third time my question is and I quote:

"I'm interested in crossing a guppy and molly, just wondering if anyone here has had success."

Have you had success sir? And do you have any advice or tips? I can tell you are a knowledgable man,{edited for flaming}. Unless you'd like to help there's no need to argue over petty BS like common names. I hope you understand I'm looking for advice on crossing guppies and mollies.

I got you on the sterile comment!

Posted on: 2009/4/27 1:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

User information
From Fishkill
Group:
Registered Users
I have a friend who is working on just that ,for a while now.I have given him virgin female guppies a few times now with no luck.last week he did get some fry out of one of the guppy females.He has guppy females with molly males ,with no other fish in the tank.I took a look at the babies and they look like molly babies.I'm going to his house today to pick up some other fish ,I will check on his progress and let you know.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

User information
From Lexington, KY
Group:
Registered Users
CBeans this forum is a place for people that want to enjoy sharing information and discussing common interests with other fellow hobbyists. Even if their was a misunderstanding with your question there is no reason to get upset. Chromedome was only trying to help and if his information is not helping a personal attack against him is still uncalled for. Like I said before we are all here to "enjoy" sharing our common interests with eachother. If the vibe from this topic remains negative I would hope the Administrators delete it as I would hate to see new people come here and get the impression that this is a negative place.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 10:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

User information
From United States
Group:
Registered Users
let me be perfectly crystal clear. there will be no flaming tolerated on this site. keep it cordial or it goes in the trash bin and you risk getting booted. if you want to argue, take it offline. just because the two of you feel you are not understanding each other is no reason to lob insults.

cbeans, i think you will find the bulk of the people in the ala are more interested in preserving actual species, whether wild or fancy, rather than creating new hybrids. the acception may be those who want to introduce traits to make a new fancy strain. it might be easier to ask around for who is doing that sort of work and narrow your search that way, as there is no guarrantee that the people who are doing that kind of work are even registered on the site. personally, i breed primarily wild types so i have no idea where you should be directed. good luck on your search.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

User information
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with what Mike said, and for the record, this is why common names can suck.

The original fish called guppytail molly was basically a veiltailed molly as ChromeDome told you. I think that a few people made an assumption that these were the same as the molly/guppy crosses that have been done/attempted since then.

My personal opinion is that if you do make a cross of your fish, you should call them what they are e.g. P. velifera x reticulata (or whatever cross it is); and not try to come up with some fancy name for the "new" fish.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 14:35

ALA Member
ALA Member

User information
From San Francisco
Group:
ALA Members
I have and am raising guppytail mollies. Right now I am waiting for fry to grow to adulthood and have about 300 with another maternity tank getting ready to deliver. they are a weaker fish I have been working on strengthing the characteristics. I also have been working for five years on developing veiltail mollies. I guess you could say I work on designer mollies. gerard94114@yahoo.com

Posted on: 2009/5/16 0:25

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.
You cannot use topic type.
You cannot use HTML syntax.